Final thoughts on 77 Midget clutch?

Subject: Final thoughts on 77 Midget clutch?
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:51:37 -0500
I'm posting this as sort of "I've checked all I
know to check.  Is there anything I have missed?"

I have a 77 Midget that will not go into gear.  It
went in gear for the PO, but it grinded going into
gear.

I have rebuilt the master cylinder and slave
cylinder, replacing the clear hose in the
process.  The master cylinder pumps fluid, and the
slave cylinder piston moves.  I can see no bubbles
in the line.

The pivoting pin is present in the
transmission...the pin opposite the slave
cylinder, the one the release bearing 'hinges'
on.  Does that eliminate problems in that area?  I
can see the bottom of it and think I can feel the
top.

Since I have not driven the car, I am not certain
if the clutch slips.  I just know that it will not
go into any gear from rest.

I tried the method of freeing up the clutch, just
in case that was the problem.

Is there anything else to check before diagnosing
it as a bad release bearing and pulling the
engine?

Thanks,

--
Tyson Sherman