Re: TD Engine

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Engine
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:03:39 -0500
At 06:21 AM 7/17/2000 -0500, Ronald Olds wrote:
>.... The pipe on the rear main bearing cap was laying loose in the bottom
of my oil pan when I pulled the pan. The pipe fit is a little loose. Any
recomendations of how to secure the pipe to the cap?

Loose?  Ya got me.  Mayne some Loctite adhesive?  All of my MGA 1500
engines (a few now) have that pipe screwed into a thread.  The one 1600
engine I have just disassembled has no pipe there, and appears to have no
provision of installing one, but I suppose it could have been pressed in
and is now missing.  I don't expect to have my other 1600 engine open for a
while yet.

I'm not quite sure about the intent of that pipe. Oil will just dribble
gently out of that drain anyway, not like it would cause foaming in the
sump.  It would make a lot more sense to me if they had put a similar
downpipe on the return port from the oil pressure relief valve, because
that sucker surely shoots a fast jet of oil down into the sump at cruising
speed, and could approach 1 quart per second at very high engine speed.  I
lost some rod bearings a few years back when my oil pump was cavitating at
7000 rpm.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg