Problem with starter motor?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problem with starter motor?
From: "John Middlesworth" <middlesworth@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:12:59 -0700
I need help analyzing a problem.  My 72 MGB suddenly refuses to start.  I
can hear the fuel pump working and (perhaps) a single click from the starter
solenoid, but not a bit of movement of the flywheel.  Here are the relevant
facts:
1. The headlights are bright enough to indicate a good charge on the
battery.
2. The red ignition light on the dash which normally lights up when the car
is starting never lights.
3. In attempting to remove the starter motor I accidently hit a live wire
(battery not properly disconnected) and heard the starter gear whirl around,
so the motor's not entirely dead.

Does it sound like I need a new motor, or perhaps a new solenoid, or should
I check something else?

John Middlesworth