Re: Heater motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heater motor
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:35:16 -0500
At 03:03 PM 7/19/2000 -0400, someone wrote:
>  Before you go to the effort to replace the fan, check that its wires are
correctly connected. The motor is DC, so will run fine in either direction.
The fan works better in one direction. ....

Well, I've heard this at least a hundred times now, and I can't stand it
any more.  My MGA heater motor is a series wound DC motor and runs in the
same direction regardless of the input polarity.  When I procured a
replacement motor that ran in the opposite direction I had to open the case
and swap the wires on the field coils to make it run the other way.  I just
went and checked one a minute ago just to be sure I wasn't suddenly in a
totally different universe, and it definitely does NOT change direction of
rotation when the input power polarity is switched, but continues to run in
the same direction.

I was (and still am) under the imperssion that ALL standard MG heater
motors are series wound DC motors.  To change rotational direction with a
change of polarity would require having permanent magnets in there
somewhere.  Would someone please explain to me what kind of heater motor
they have in their MG that would reverse direction just by reversing the
current?

BarneyGaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg