Re: Heater motor

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater motor
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:56:39 +0100
Would you even notice if the wiper motor ran backwards?  Possibly only by a
slight change in park position, if at all.  The wiper motor has a permanent
magnet stator so reversing the polarity reverses the magnetic field in the
rotor only making it run backwards.  Both my heater fan motors definitely
run backwards if their polarity is reversed, can't comment on positive
ground cars having different heater fan motors, but the Moss catalogue does
show a change in part number at that point.  Having to repolarise the dynamo
when switching polarity is for the same reason - the residual magnetism in
the stator is just like a weak permanent magnet, it has to be reversed
before the dynamo will generate voltage of the required polarity.  The
starter motor is different - it has a wound stator and rotor, so reversing
the polarity of the supply reverses the magentic field in both hence it
still rotates in the same direction.

PaulH.