front wheel shimmy - MG TD

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: front wheel shimmy - MG TD
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:09:25 -0400
  One of our club members needs help. He's not a subscriber to the lists,
so I'm passing on a description of his problems.
   Over the winter, he rebuilt the swivel pins and front suspension of
his TD. He also bought new radial tires.
   Come spring, he found a severe shimmy at 50 mph--steering wheel
shakes, scuttle and windshield shake.
  He had the wheels re-balanced again, by two different shops.
  He sent the wheels out to be checked by a wheel shop.  $130 later, the
shop said wheels were within spec.  He says that they have 3/16 inch
runout, but that the shop says that's acceptible.  (Runout on my TD
wheels is <3/32)
  He bought new radial tires.
  Front end has been aligned twice.  TD front ends are similar to MGB, in
that there is no adjustment for caster or camber, only toe-in.  Toe in is
now 1/16.
  Wheels still shimmy violently.
  What should he be looking for?

Bob