Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:56:41 -0700
Bill,

Rebuilding the clutch m/c is pretty simple as there are few moving parts and
it's pretty easy to see what to do when you take it apart.  The hardest part
is taking the m/c out and putting it back in.  I do have an additional
suggestion, why not rebuild the slave cylinder at the same time and save
yourself from having to do it anyway.  It's even easier to rebuild and to
get at.  The only "new" tool you should get, if you don't already have one,
is a small diameter brake cylinder hone that will fit in an electric drill.
The clutch m/c has a barrel around 3/4 inch or less, so you need a hone that
will compress that small, the slave cylinder is probably around 1 to 1 1/2
inches so it should expand to that size as well.  All you need to do with
the hone is run it in and out of the cylinders a few times to rough up the
surface and knock out any rust that may be there.  If you find deep pits you
might as well replace the unit.  Don't worry about a little rust past where
the rubber seal reaches as it wont affect the seal.  I wet the stones on the
hone with brake fluid before I use it.  The outside rubber cap on the units
is held in place by a round clip that needs to be forced off with a screw
driver.  Be sure to clean all the residue out of the cylinder before you put
it back together with the rubber seals wetted with brake fluid so they wont
tear when putting them back in.

Dave 72 B (With recent clutch m/c and slave cylinders rebuilt)