Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:51:41 +0000
Anne and Richard Spurling wrote:

> Something in number 2 cylinder has let go. Rings? Piston? We wont know
> until we pull the head off.
>
> And the really annoying thing is that it runs nicely, but you can hear
> it puffing into the crankcase.
>
> Guess what - I can't afford to do anything to the car.
>
> I guess, theoretically, I should get the head lifted, find out what
> the problem is, then decide what to do. Shouldn't I. However, as I
> can't afford to do anything at the moment, I'll be driving her home
> and parking her for awhile.

Hmmm, so I guess I can forget inviting you up to our next SuperSprint on
August 12th and a few weeks later our Six Hour (both a Mallala)?

Maybe you should come anyway, get to (re-)introduce yourself to lots of
eager and willing helpers/advice givers.  We always need helping hands
(flag points, comms, pit-boards) for the Six Hour and there is always a
damn good barbecue afterwards (it is a twilight meeting).

As for affording the work?  Hey, that has never stopped me spending
money on my little beast, although I am not really sure of your $1,000
bill.  Even if you do none of the job yourself (do some of the pulling
apart and save yourself the bill for a few hours work, maybe) your
estimate may be borne of the depressing feelings one gets at these
times.  If it is just rings (and even a piston) then slice a few hundred
off and it doesn't sound nearly so bad :-) A straight headjob cost me
$500 but I could have got it done cheaper if I wasn't out of the State
and in a hurry.

My yellow thing is really heading towards re-build now.  I thought I
could get through to the end of this season, and maybe I can, but on a
decent 45 mile stretch where she sits on 70 mph for much of that (to the
track and back) she is letting go with around half a litre of oil into
the catch tank.  We have fiddled around the edges (increasing back
pressure for the o'flow pipe) and that has saved me about a half a
litre, but she must be getting very sloppy inside to do this.

Now I may have damaged the radiator mounting the damn electric fan
because she is losing a fair bit of water when she gets hot (yes, I will
try a new radiator cap).

She still get her times on the track but I am waiting for a catastrophic
ocurrance which tells me I should have bitten the bullet earlier (even
though "I can't afford to get the work done").

So, was all that comforting?  Mail me with your phone number and I can
give your some direct counselling :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII