Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive
From: Jon Paulsen <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
> Anne and Richard Spurling wrote:
> >
> > Something in number 2 cylinder has let go. Rings?
> Piston? We wont know
> > until we pull the head off.
> >
> > And the really annoying thing is that it runs
> nicely, but you can hear
> > it puffing into the crankcase.

Hey Richard, a couple of points to consider before you
hang it up until the funds come in (belieeeeeeeve me,
I know where you're coming from):

Ignoring other symptoms for now, venting to atmosphere
might not be enough especially if you are venting
through the restrictor tube at the back of the valve
cover. Evidently, with a reasonable amount of blow-by
presurizing the case, the tube at the back of the
cover is not enough to keep the pressure and some oil
from spitting out elsewhere. My rubber hose was
completely broken off at the restrictor tube and it
still blew oil out the fill cap. It stopped after
replacing the PCV valve, the broken rubber tube
between the restrictor tube, and after capping off an
unused port on the vacumn canister. The details don't
matter, because mine is not a stock arrangement. Sorry
if I missed something; I already dumpped the original
message.

Also, assuming there is an internal prob. (sounds like
it), you can often do much less than a rebuild, at the
dismay of others. You can replace 1 valve, or 1 broken
valve spring, or even do a ring job on one piston. You
probably don't have a ring problem, unless raw gas has
been dumped down just the one cylinder. Maybe even
just a head gasket, but I think the mechy would have
diagnosed that. Other's will jump up and down and get
blue in the face and say you can't do that, but you
can, and it beats garaging your beloved for a year or
two. You can do it yourself too, if you can use a
torque wrench. If you try and fail, you still have a
broken car to park for another day...

jon
(covering head, awaiting attack :0 )

=====
This is my list only e-mail address and it may not be
checked regularly. For personal messages, please try
jonp@altavista.net which is normally check Mon-Fri.

http://mail.yahoo.com/