Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:49:03 -0700
I have no argument with using brake grease - although I have found it isn't
compatible with silicone brake fluid. When the system is to be filled with
silicon fluid, I always use s.f. as an assembly aid.

My quarrel - minor as it is - is with your original suggestion that getting
brake fluid on the internal parts of the master cylinder causes corrosion.
I've never yet (in 40 years of working on MGs; isn't this competitive thing
fun? {G}) taken apart a master cylinder where there was not brake fluid
present on all the internal surfaces.

As for the admonition "wipe up spills immediately to avoid damage to
surfaces", surely this refers to the imperative need to make sure brake
fluid is not allowed sit on painted surfaces? IMNSHO, any corrosion on bare
metal surfaces after contact with brake fluid results more from its
hygroscopic nature, in that it attracts moisture which in turn corrodes the
metal. If brake fluid was naturally corrosive, steel brake pipes wouldn't
last very long, I surmise.

Cheers,

Lawrie