Re: Paint

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:15:06 -0700
I personally prefer the softer color and not the current "wet" look as it seems
more appropriate for the cars and period. I have used Dupont on all of my work
probably because the man behind the counter knew his product better.

IMO an acrylic enamel is better if you're doing the work yourself.  Urethanes
and Polyurethanes require forced air breathing apparatus and other special
considerations to use. Acrylic enamel can be spayed in the home shop using
charcoal canister filter masks and other more common proceedures.

Super hard finishes resist chipping better.  However, if rust ever gets under
the finish IMO it seems to spread faster and more agressively.

Although no one uses the old fashioned slow drying Dulux alkyd enamels, I use it
for chasis components. IMO because of its softer nature, it doesn't "flake" chip
but scratches.  I think it sort of "heals" like a rust proofing compound and
rust doesn't seem to get under the finish as agressively. Of course, when Dulux
was in its prime, there wasn't as much salt on the roads either.

Blake