Netiquette

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Netiquette
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:38:21 -0700
Forwarded from Zandor, author unknown.

Blake
****************************

How to Forward Email and Not Make Enemies.

Forwarding netiquette

Do you get email from people you don't know?

Do you get lots of forwarded email from others?

Here us the best way to forward email to others if and when you do.

Feel free to send this to those who forward email to you.

This line will be the email address you are mailing from in the mailer program.

In this line if you are mailing to a group of people, like a group of people
unrelated to each other or a list of people you regularly email to, you should
put your own email address as the one to be forwarded to. This
helps people respond back to you and also helps in preventing them from
responding back to the entire list. You will also get a copy back of what you
sent and be able to see what the others actually received. I explain at the
bottom of this how to send to the list of people.

I suggest not simply forwarding things as that raises a person's suspicions as
to whether it is junk mail or even a virus. When it says FWD in the Subject line
that means it was simply forwarded and maybe even not be read or looked at
before sending. This is often how viruses are sent. When I see an email that
says FWD FWD I just delete it without even reading it.

Text:

This is where it gets tricky. First of all there are still people out there with
juno and some other email
programs that cannot receive html enriched text so it is best to set "Reply to
messages using the format in which they were sent" under the tools, options,
Send tab. Try to make sure not to forward as html enriched
text unless you are sure they all have that ability.

I (the author) hate those little >>>> lines in email forwarding. These lines are
intended for sending comments with something someone has forwarded. It does
serve a purpose in that sense to distinguish what was forwarded
from the editorial of the person forwarding the message. If you do a lot of
forwarding without any editorial then I suggest turning that function off in
your email program.

For Outlook and Outlook Express click on Tools, then Options, then Send, then
Plain text settings.

Uncheck the "Indent the original text with > when replying or forwarding."

The best way to forward something is to actually cut and paste it into a new
message. I realize this takes more time and is a little more complicated but it
looks much nicer and more professional once it is done. To cut and
paste the text, in the message that you want to forward, click on Edit then
select all or put the cursor where you wish to start copying in the message and
drag with the left mouse button to the end of the text you wish to
forward. If you do this regularly with all your forwarded email it will become
second nature and not difficult at all.

MOST IMPORTANT

This is the reason I typed all of this. Put all of those who you wish to forward
to, in a Blind Carbon Copy or a BCC: This hides the email addresses of those who
you have forwarded to others. If you don't have Outlook
or Outlook Express please find out how to do this. On AOL it is a double
parenthesis followed by a comma when there are more than one.
((johndoe@aol.com)) In Outlook or Outlook Express click on the address Book icon
next to the To: line. select who you want to send to and click the bcc: to put
them in the BCC field instead of the To: field. This provides a feeling of
security to those you are forwarding to. I see so many forwarded email with
lines and lines of peoples email addresses in the forwarded text. Many times I
don't know most of the people in that list. If I were one who wanted to send
junk mail this would be a wonderful source of valid
email addresses. I personally do not like my email address forwarded in this
manner. I would be a little angry if I were one of those people in that list.