Re: Starting a New Engine

To: "Randy Trautman" <trautman@nwlink.com>
Subject: Re: Starting a New Engine
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:31:45 -0500
At 06:03 PM 7/27/2000 -0700, Randy Trautman wrote:
>.... I have a Tartan red 69 BGT.  .... and I'm curious if anyone can give
some tips for starting the engine the first time. ....

Aha!  Another opportunity for an extensive answer without extensive typing,
as I have saved some of the previous answers on-line.  Start here:
   http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/en1.htm

Scroll down below the picture and click on DE-101, starting a dormant
engine.  Much of this also applies to starting a new engine for the first
time.  You can also check OF-101 and OF-102 for detailed information on the
internal oiling system of your engine, and in particular OF-103 for priming
the oil system before the first starting.  While you're there, feel free to
graze on whatever other tidbits of engine tech catch your fancy.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
   http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg