Re: Car gets hot

To: tab@penworks.com, purtell@students.uiuc.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car gets hot
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:46:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/00 10:07:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tab@penworks.com writes:

<< I've been in the middle of this myself.  My '78B (your message quoted here
 doesn't say which year you have) is often running hot.  Never below 70%,
 often up to the edge of the red.

 Various solutions are (not in any particular order):

 - New thermostat
 - Flush radiator
 - Flush the thermostat housing
 - Flush the heater
 - Replace or recore the radiator
 - Sufficient coolant
 - Make sure the thermoswitch on the radiator works (more important when
 idling than when driving)
 - Make sure the temperature sender is okay (a bad guage will lead you astray)

 Not sure if I forgot any... >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sounds like you covered all the bases.  Back in the '60s and '70s, I used to
change the thermostat twice a year.  I'd use a 160 deg in the spring and
summer, and a 180 deg in the fall and winter.  Better cooling in the summer
and a little more heat in the winter.

Also, be aware that too much antifreeze can cause overheating.  The best
coolant is straight water.  If you live in an area where it never gets below
freezing, just fill the radiator with clean water and use a little Red Line
Water Wetter.  If you must use an antifreeze, use the lowest concentration
required for your lowest temperature.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget