What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:49:42 EDT
As a non-American, I do not share the American fascination, some would say
obsession, with guns. In fact I prefer to be as far away from them as
possible.

I don't want to get into an argument about whether this is short-sighted, or
whether most of the gun fans are intentionally misreading the American
constitution to justify their gun ownership.

I am writing to comment on something I have noticed just this last month -
the encroachment of guns into an area that I do enjoy - cars.

First, I was reading Automobile. Jean Jennings wrote an article about a Range
Rover that was designed not as a fashion statement, like the Eddie Bauer
whatever 4 by 4, but as the Range Rover Holland and Holland. While certainly
traditionally English, in that Holland and Holland is an English gun maker
with a long history, I expect that this joining of car and guns was crafted
specifically with the American market in mind.

Then, I picked up the latest issue of Car & Driver, to see an article on the
BMW 740iL 'Protection', an armour plated yuppie-mobile with the writers
feeling invincible and giving the finger to other drivers, and pictures of
guns sticking out of windows.

Was there a revolution (in thinking perhaps) while I wasn't looking? Has
America become an armed camp (some would say it always was, I suppose)? Or is
it just coincidence that two car manufacturers, both interestingly offshore
ones, have suddenly begun marketing these models that focus on guns?

Anyone have an opinion - I'd really be interested to hear what Americans and
non-Americans both have to say on the subject.

Bill