Re: Those darned expansion tanks

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Those darned expansion tanks
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:10:07 -0500
At 04:50 PM 7/29/2000 -0700, Tab Julius wrote:

>On my '78B, I am now the proud owner of a replacement expansion tank (for
the radiator) which I got to replace the leaky old one.

>Pray tell, how do I remove the old one?  It's held on by a metal band that
looks like it's welded on or something.  Is there an easy way to get the
old one out and the new one in without any pyrotechnics?

The ends of that band, hiding behind the tank, carry threaded studs that
pass through the body sheet metal.  You should find two nuts with washers
on the opposite side of the sheet metal at that point.  Use plenty of
"Liquid Wrench", and good luck on busting them loose without busting the
studs (which are welded or staked to the band).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg