Wheel Bearing Replacement - Part 2

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel Bearing Replacement - Part 2
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:36:51 -0400
Amazing, the things that we learn as go through life.  Never having been in the
innards of a B's hubs, I wasn't exactly sure what the components looked like.
It turns out that what I was mistaking for the Oil Seal Collar was a
metal-lipped oil seal that fit very well into the hub.  The actual collar looked
to me as if it were an old outer race with its curved surface toward the backing
plate.

     Ed Kaler, bless his ornery soul, called me last night, just moments after
I'd posted the plea. He had pity on this poor amateur and gave me a good
description of what I was looking at.  And, he paid for the call!  That's great
service.  Thanks Ed.

     Once I drifted out the metal-lipped seal the parts began to make sense.
None of the books give decent instructions for drifting out the old outer races
through the notches in the hub casting.
Fortunately, the new ones press in fairly easily once you get the castle nut
started.

    Thanks to all of you who responded personally.  I really appreciate it.

(BTW, while Ed Kaler was helping me, his wife was waiting for him to go out for
dinner in celebration of their wedding anniversary!)

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/