Re: Teens & clutches OT

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: Teens & clutches OT
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:46:41 -0400 (EDT)
Since this hasn't been mentioned as a method yet, I'll describe it and you
can pick from the 200 other methods that are being mentioned on the list.

Since many older drivers (I'm 21) can't seem to master the use of a clutch
on a car they drive daily I do think it important to master a clutch, not
just use it. One way I was thinking of is to set the parking brake with
the car off and ask them to practice pushing the pedals while you
watch. You can usually see when they're obviously making a mistake
(pushing the gas to the floor, poping the clutch, using the brake as the
clutch, etc) and you won't burn up your clutch in 10 seconds. After it
looks like they've got that down, have them do it a few more times without
looking at the pedals so they can get the feel down.

Next, start the car up, have them floor it and pop the clutch... Just
kidding. Next just try the standard techniques with the car running.

I thought this might help a bit, let me know if you use it! :)

Geoff

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || #!/usr/bin/perl
geoffeg@sloth.org || $mother =~ m/(\w)/;