RE: Race prepping, shock valves

To: "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: RE: Race prepping, shock valves
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:04:30 -0700
Larry:

        So long as you are not floating valves, and are staying within the
stock rev limits, then the stock springs are fine.

        Valve springs are like anything else.  You want them just heavy
enough to do what they are supposed to, close valves after they have been
bumped open.

        Any heavier and they cause excessive drag and loading on the cam
reducing the life of the valve train.

        If you run a higher lift cam, or use higher revs, then the valve
springs will need to be uprated.  In these circumstances the demand on the
springs is higher than the manufacturer intended, and thus they will need to
be uprated over stock.

        One thing that you can do is go to lighter alloy valve caps.  This
is a case where you will be reducing valve train momentum by throwing
lighter more expensive materials at the engine.  This is a positive thing
with no performance drawbacks.

        I'd recomend making minor modifications where you are spending more
money or time than the factory could afford to.  Minor head cleanup (not
massive porting, which reduces low end torque), manifold port matching,
smoothing and lightening of components, precise timing, balancing, accurate
timing and fuel adjustment etc.

        Changing things like cam shafts, compression ratios, valve springs,
flywheel weight etc. all tend to make the engine less flexible, and less
usable as transportation.  KISS will tend to get you more enjoyment out of
the car than throwing on expensive performance bits that may not be matched
to your driving needs.

        Using a dyno is an excellent idea.  I'm hoping to be able to do that
once I get my beastie back together.

        BTW.  My vintage race MGB is a perfect example of what not to do.  I
have a very hot engine that was built by someone who knew what he was doing.
I dropped it in my car and bolted up a distributor and Weber DCOE carb.  The
performance is disapointing.  What I need to do is spend a chunk of time
making sure that the carb and distributor are doing what the engine wants.
If I don't do that, the engine is not going to work correctly and something
bad will probably happen.  Gee maybe that's why I just had the head gasket
fail?
        So when you find a good dyno, let me know huh.

Kelvin.