Re: Race prepping, shock valves

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Race prepping, shock valves
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:26:21 -0700
On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:04:30AM -0700, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
> Larry:
>
>       So long as you are not floating valves, and are staying within the
> stock rev limits, then the stock springs are fine.

That is what I suspected, and was only thinking about going 10-20% stiffer
anyways.  This is why I've been asking before throwing too much money
at the car.

>       One thing that you can do is go to lighter alloy valve caps.  This
> is a case where you will be reducing valve train momentum by throwing
> lighter more expensive materials at the engine.  This is a positive thing
> with no performance drawbacks.
What do the lighter alloy caps cost?

For that matter, anybody know what lighter weight, lift enhancing
(I forget the technical name) rockers cost?

>       I'd recomend making minor modifications where you are spending more
> money or time than the factory could afford to.  Minor head cleanup (not
> massive porting, which reduces low end torque), manifold port matching,
> smoothing and lightening of components, precise timing, balancing, accurate
> timing and fuel adjustment etc.

I will be getting the head ported.  I'll see how well it works. In a
month or two I'll either be selling a stock head (with hardened seats)
and about 20,000 miles on it, or a ported head with about 2,000 miles
on it.

>       Changing things like cam shafts, compression ratios, valve springs,
> flywheel weight etc. all tend to make the engine less flexible, and less
> usable as transportation.  KISS will tend to get you more enjoyment out of
> the car than throwing on expensive performance bits that may not be matched
> to your driving needs.

Now that I have a transportation appliance most of my time driving the
car is spent either flogging it around the Santa Cruz mountains (most
of you would envy my commute) or flogging it around race tracks.

>       Using a dyno is an excellent idea.  I'm hoping to be able to do that
> once I get my beastie back together.
>
>       So when you find a good dyno, let me know huh.

Will do. I'm hoping to be ready to dyno tune my car in about three weeks.

Frey racing sold their dyno to the Mustang Ranch, which charges $100/hour.
Does anyone on the list know of other chassis dynos in the bay area?
Would anyone else be interested in seeing if we could get a price break
on a bigger block of dyno time.  At the least it could be helpful to
share our SU needle collection.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any experiencing rejetting carbs
for ported heads? Does the jetting change significantly with the
higher flow? Is there a good source of needles?

Larry -  who is trying to use stupid queestions to prevent stupid and
expensive mistakes.