Re: Wing and Bare Metal Respray advice

To: Wil Boucher <william@imag.net>
Subject: Re: Wing and Bare Metal Respray advice
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:42:27 -0600 (MDT)
I took my roadster to bare metal with the guts intact.  I stripped
everything off the outside and masked off the whole interior, etc.  The
car was still driveable in this state but not legal.  This is probably not
the recommended way to do a car since the engine compartment etc will not
match the outside of the car.  I chose this route after an accident just
to get paint on the car, it is a daily driver and was resprayed the same
color as before so the perfect match wasn't important.  My V8 conversion
on the other hand is having a full body color change.  The car is stripped
to a shell, and that will be painted.  However you do it make sure the
shop knows what they are doing.  Some shops won't take a car in bare
metal, others will insist on it.  I would suggest you pick your shop
before you strip the car.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT ever so slowly turning into a V8
'63 Buick 215

"I sure wish I had a racer's budget, or are the racers just better at
explaining expenses to the wife?"
-Unknown