Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me

To: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>,
Subject: Re: 75 MGB Steering rack: Hopefully the last questions from me
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:40:38 -0700
Mark Dawson had this to say:

>Lastly, just to be sure, I ran it up to an alignment shop to have them check
>everything. Right off the bat they said I'd need a new gear, since there
>should not be oil in the boots; the seals must be bad. ?!?

This just shows they are ignorant gits. The boots ARE the seals.

As for leakage, well, no, they shouldn't leak at all. You might try some
small stainless band clamps on the little end. What's on the big end? And
where is it leaking? I understand some of these boot kits have different
sorts of clamps, of varying effectiveness. It is possible that you
overfilled them -- they shouldn't be over half full, and that may even be
too much (I don't exactly recall).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149