RE: Rear axles

To: "'Chris Kotting'" <ckotting@core.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear axles
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:20:44 -0700
The rear end casing came out of either a 56 ZA or a 58 ZB, I'm not sure
which.  So far as I know the two are the same, but I have not checked part
numbers.

In answer to Michael's question, the Magnette differential is the same type
as an MGA or B.  The gear ratio is different and the side gears are the same
as 1500 MGA.  Note:  The side gears must match the spline on the axle shaft.

The axle shafts are similar to those on an MGA or early B and will not work
on the Elva.  Smaller sedans typically used either the Spridget or the
Spitfire type of diffs.  I'm a little out of my depth here, but have run
into the two types in a variety of cars.

Spit Type:  TR7 4spd, Austin Marina, TR10, Lotus 7, Nash Metro.

Spridget Type:  Austin A40, Morris Minor.

        The Elva is probably using a rear end from a passenger car, as they
were built using mostly off the shelf readily available components.  The
mass produced sports cars that we are familiar with had purpose built
casings with shorter axles.  The TR10 comes to mind as having the correct
axles for an Elva, but don't hold me to it.

Kelvin.

I have a question. Is the Magnette differential the same as the MG A-or B?
And are the axle shaftss the same diameter as the A's &B's? The reason I ask
is that the early Elva Couriers had third members from a Riley (or maybe an
Austin A40 0r 50 or something) that used the series A differential (sprite
size) but were wider than the MG units.