Re: What are the true benefits of a Weber carb?

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: What are the true benefits of a Weber carb?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 00:11:49 -0400
Larry Macy wrote:
> So anyway I don't think the Weber will cause it to fail emissions just
> cuz it is a Weber.

  It may sound anal, but it's very important to not just
say "a weber".

  There are a few different types of weber, and some of them
are as different as can be.

  The two most used Webers for LBC uses are DGV-style and
DCOE-style. These two happen to be exemplary of that "as
different as can be".

  The DGV is a simple carb, not an incredible performer
but acceptable, easy to live with, holds it's tune well,
and so on. This is often used as a reliability replacement
for a clapped out set of SUs or for a ZS.

  Putting a DGV in place of SUs is unlikely to see gains
unless the SUs were beyond their sell date. Putting a
DGV in place of an ZS is normally a noticeable performance
boost.

  The DCOE however is a different beast, it's a sidedraft
carb that more or less takes a rolling road to set up
properly. I suspect that 90% of the DCOEs out there are
not tuned up to their potential, or even not tuned well
enough to be credible street cars. (think of all the times
you hear "has the typical weber dead spot on acceleration",
what you are really hearing is "I have no idea how to tune
these things and am too stubborn to admit it could be
my fault so I blame the carbs".)

  Anyways, a well set up DCOE can give you a slight
performance boost and still remain very streetable. If
you make other mods to your car such as a reprofiled
cam, porting, and so on, a DCOE is just the thing to
squeeze every bit of juice out of it.

  I sincerely beleive most people are best off with
twin SUs. Most people and most mechanics can tune them
so that they deliver the full capacity of performance
and road manners.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca