Re: What are the true benefits of a Weber carb?

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: What are the true benefits of a Weber carb?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:54:51 -0700
On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 12:23:48AM -0700, Tab Julius wrote:

> 1) What significant differences would I see?

About 1984 I put a 40DCOE on my 1275 spridget. My gas mileage dropped to
about 10MPG, and the car developed a "flat spot" from idle up to about
4000 RPM.  Even with the coaching of folks who knew the carb, I never saw
significant improvement.  The only time the car was at all driveable was
the one 20 minute session I took it out on Sears Point. Shortly thereafter
I replaced the Weber with twin HS4s (1 1/2"), saw as much power (subjectively)
as with the DCOE, regained my gas mileage and my driveability.

I've not driven a DGV equipped MG but I had them on my IT Rabbit and my
Cortina (actually a DFV the levorotatory version). The DG/FV seemed to
work ok.

--
Million Monkey Software -
Our code sucks, but you should see this thing we wrote called Hamlet.