Re: Front Oil Seal Collar

To: <cl4rk2@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Oil Seal Collar
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:15:02 +0100
Sounds like the inner race of the inner bearing could have been rotating
relative to the collar, which is a 'bad thing', and can be caused by missing
shims and/or bearing spacer meaning that the hub nut wasn't torqued up.
Alternatively if all the parts were present in the correct places it could
just be that the outer races weren't properly seated in the hub when the nut
*was* torqued up, the races then seated properly on the road, loosening
everything off.  You would be aware of this when dismantling the hub - the
nut would be slack.  It should be torqued up to 40lbft to 70lbft, so
presumably should need a similar torque to undo it.

If they really are raised ridges and not a groove you may find that even
though you correctly assemble and torque up the hub those ridges will
flatten over time, slackening off the torque again, and allowing more
rotation.  This can wreck the stub axle.

PaulH.