Re: Oil dipstick seal

To: "Keith Gernert" <kgernert@triad.rr.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil dipstick seal
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:41:10 -0700
Um, I don't think so. The crankcase generally needs to be vented, not
sealed. What is generally referred to as engine vacuum is generated in
the intake manifold and is completely separate. The B has crankcase
ventilation through the side cover, with variations over the years as to
where it winds up (atmosphere, carbon canister, etc). The only worry
about the dipstick seal is if oil is spewing out (indicating clogged
crankcase ventilation elsewhere), or if dirt and crap is getting in
(obviously not good).

Keith Gernert had this to say:

--

Max Heim