Re: Oil dipstick seal

To: "Keith Gernert" <kgernert@triad.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil dipstick seal
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:18:20 +0100
A good seal is needed on a sealed or semi-sealed crankcase ventilation
system or you may get a weak mixture - witness removing the oil filler cap
on these systems.

Try removing your cap at idle and see it it makes any difference to engine
revs.  If it doesn't then, for whatever reason, any leaks from around the
dipstick are making no difference and you probably have problems elsewhere
in your crankcase and emissions plumbing.

If the cap makes a difference put it back and try pulling the stick in and
out, and sealing the hole with your thumb.  If you get the same change in
revs with thumb on and off, if any difference at all, as with dipstick in
and out then the dipstick seal is probably good enough.

Just my rule of thumb.

PaulH.