Compression pressures ??? food for thought???

To: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>,
Subject: Compression pressures ??? food for thought???
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:32:49 -0700
Hi Guys
If I may be so bold as to put my .02's worth in here! the simplistic
mathematical equation to calculate a compression ratio will work fine in
theory, BUT, in practice so much depends upon the camshaft timing and lift
etc that it becomes very difficult to actually calculate an accurate figure
from the dimensional data given by the engine builder. The compression at
cranking speed may well be different than the compression at 6000
rpm..simply due to time etc
A great many other factors can cause pinking, such as the advance curves,
dwell, weak mixture, engine temp, fuel quality and altitude.
Engines will run at 10-10.5 :1 compression without a problem IF these other
factors are taken into account and adjusted accordingly.