Re: Almost enough cooling

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Almost enough cooling
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:41:20 -0700
I have heard the exact same trick described on the Barracuda mailing
list, so there is apparently something to it. I think what is going on is
that a given airflow through a specific radiator lowers the coolant
temperature at a specific rate. If this rate is slower than the rate of
coolant flow through the radiator, you will not receive the maximum
cooling benefit. High vehicle speed = high airflow = high cooling rate,
but high RPM = high coolant flow rate; so in a racing situation, as you
try to keep the engine in the upper end of the RPM range (regardless of
vehicle speed), the flow rate could easily exceed the cooling rate. It
makes sense if you consider the flow rate being optimized for general
driving, not racing.

Larry Colen had this to say:

--

Max Heim