Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild

To: Lawrie@britcars.com, derex39@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild
From: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:49:33 GMT
I have done a couple of variations of the the procedure you detailed.  The
latest was following the description in the Haynes manual.

1) Rotate the crank until number four valves are both at the bottom of their
travel.  This being TDC on number 1.
2) Continue to rotate the crank until the timing mark (pulley) is lined up
with 10 degrees on the timing chain cover.
3) Line up the distributor to where the rubbing block is just openning the
points.
4) Attach cap and place number 1 wire on where rotor points (1342).

This I believe would mean that it is statically timed.

I see a difference in your description from my actions where you did not
mention step 2 above.  When I do perform step two the valves on #4 piston
are now no longer both down.  One is up and one is down.  So that being I
will try your approach and leave out step 2.

Thanks

Dereck (getting that confidence back)
70 B