Tranny oil -- thoughts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny oil -- thoughts
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:58:53 GMT
Firstly,

I believe it is most important not to use Hypoid oil in MG gearboxes, since
the additives corrode the brass synchro rings. Or so I have thought. Anyone
want to correct me?

On going through the small passageways, would not a multi-weight oil go
through these better at low temperatures? At higher temperatures, the 30W
oils would go through these small passageways better, but how high do the
temperatures get in a gearbox?

On 30W vs 90W, haven't we seen many posts that state that the viscosity of
these are about the same, but the numbers differ because gear oils are
measured against a different scale?

Simon
(I use Redline MTL in my 57 'A gearbox)