Bought the MGB!

To: _MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bought the MGB!
From: Scott Beavis <sbeavis@solartron.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:16:36 +0100
After my first 'Newbie' post the other day about the MGBGT we were going to
buy, you'll be glad to here we've done it! We are now MG owners!

I went across yesterday and had a really good look at the car. It is in
excellent condition. Really nice. The guy had owned it from new and looked
after it for 22 years. I also drive the car. It's nice to drive, and quite
different to my mini! We will be going to pick it up tonight and take the
cash across. I managed to haggle down to 3850ukp so the extra 150 can pay
for the tax it will need soon.

A few observations I made...  (comments welcome)

- Rust situ looked very good. New sills etc fitted a year ago costing over
2000ukp. I had a thorough look up underneath with a torch. There was a bit
of surface rust around the back end, but nothing a wire brush and some rust
proofer won't sort out.
- The head was not converted to unleaded but this is not really a problem.
We'll just run an additive like I'm doing on the mini.
- The steering was rather heavy. Is this just because it is rear wheel drive
or maybe something else like tyre pressures?
- There was very slightly play in the steering. Seemed like worn track rod
ends or maybe wear in the steering UJs.
- The overdrive worked ok, but the chap said it takes longer to engage when
the engine is cold. Is this normal? Why does engine temperature affect the
overdrive actuation delay? Is it hydraulic or electromagnetically operated?
(I have got a haynes, better start reading!). He said never use overdrive in
reverse. I am now worried I'll accidentally leave it switched on! Any tips
here?
- The guy said that the rubber cross things in the prop shaft UJ had slight
play. Is this serious? and if so is it hard to renew them?
- The wheels are 4 nut fixing not the central spinner thing.

Apart from that it's perfect. It's mid blue and the milage from new is 93k
which is good.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions when we get the car home tonight.

Scott