70 MGB no start after complete rebuild NOW VROOM

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild NOW VROOM
From: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:15:51 GMT
VROOM!

She is up and running!  Last evening, I gave it one more shot.  I received a
message from an individual (Paul) late in the day suggesting I blow into the
overflow tube to see if fuel came up through the jet, and it did.  So I was
convinced there was not a fuel blockage.  Then I attempted to start, vroom
it ran for about 5 seconds this time.  I continued to attempt to start every
30 seconds or so and each time it would run a little longer.  I adjusted the
distributor slightly in both directions.  One direction seemed to make it
run a little longer, so I left it there.  At the same time I realized if I
barely touched the throttle the car would run longer and longer with each
try.  Eventually I was able to keep the car running for a minute or so.
That's when I realized the idle screws were not coming into play and I
adjusted to keep it idling.  From then on I had no problem starting and
keeping the car running.  So it lives!

However, does it smoke!  I balanced the carbs with the unisend (sp?) and
adjusted the mixture.  But the mixture did not seem to do a thing.  I
threaded the jet adjustment all the way up (lean) and all the way down
(rich) and did not seem to notice any difference in idle or change in the
exhaust smoke.  My thought is to check out the floats to make sure that they
are gapped correctly.  The choke is completely disconnected at the moment
and no air filters.  Just ran out of daylight.  I want to bed in the cam by
running it at 2500 rpm for 25 minutes (correct?) but I am afraid the EPA
will come after me if I attempted it in its current condition.  Any
thoughts?  If you don't hear from me - I'll be in the archives. :)

Thanks for all the help.

Dereck
70 MGB