bypassing the servo

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: bypassing the servo
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:39:34 -0400
>Besides having to kick the brake pedal to stop the car, what other
>problem might I be creating when bypassing the servo unit? If anyone has
>driven a non-servo car, is it still possible to stop it, or decelerate
>from, say 140 km/h, given its weight?

I have never found it to be a problem. On my '63 MGB with so servo and
single line brakes, the pedal is very firm and the car stops exceptionally
well,
no pulling, no fading etc etc. It is pretty easy to lock the front's up.

On my other car, the servo stopped working about 10 years ago, and I have
never
found a need to have it fixed or replaced. The car stops very well in the
dry, with
the ability to lock the front wheels. The pedal pressure obviously went up
after
the servo failed, but not too much.

Browns & Gammons are advertising vented disks and carbon (?) kevlar pads for
the MGB for $120 the complete set. I have heard good things about this set
up from
various sources. I will be picking up a pair on my next visit to the UK.

gerry