Re: Getting to know the new MG

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Getting to know the new MG
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:14:58 -0700
Scott,

You didn't mention the model year and that makes quite a difference.  I'm
not sure what kind of radiator cap you are describing.  My 72 has a standard
7 lb cap with an overflow that goes to the ground (no bottle to catch
overflow).  I would guess that you have a newer MG maybe 75 or later?  I
suspect that the weird bracket you mentioned used to house the air pump.
When I removed mine I also removed the bracket, but the thermostat housing
does still have an extended mounting bolt.  My engine does not move around,
it torques when I rev it up but that's all.  Maybe you have something loose
on the mounts or cross brace may be weak.  The lever in the foot well lets
air in through the grill in front of the windshield.  The poor running is
probably indicative of the need for a tune-up.  The tappets are set using
the rule of 9 and firing order is the same.  I believe from about 1975 to 76
the distributor is a 45D4, prior to that it was a 25D4 and after that they
came with an electronic ignition.  You can get a Pertronix ignitor or any of
3 or 4 other electronic ignition modules to replace the points.  I put a
Pertronix in my 72 and it seems to run just fine.

Good luck on your new MG,

Dave 72 B