Re: Getting to know the new MG

To: "Scott Beavis" <sbeavis@solartron.com>, "_MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Getting to know the new MG
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:02:16 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Beavis <sbeavis@solartron.com>
To: _MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 3:02 PM
Subject: Getting to know the new MG

> We have been driving the MG for a few days now and are getting used to it.
> will get underneath it this weekend and give the underside a good coat of
> waxoyl. I am also trying to familiarise myself with the engine bay. The B
> series is fairly similar to the A series in my mini so it's not too
> difficult to figure out what is what and where things are.

Waxoyl is really only good enough for box-sections, or underbody that
doesn't get abraded by road dirt and water.  Finnigans (the makers of
Waxoyl) also make a tougher underbody seal - called 'Finnigans Underbody
seal with added Waxoyl' funnily enough.  It's no where near as hard as the
rubberised stuff that traps moisture after several years, but it is harder
wearing than straight Waxoyl.

> - When accelerating the engine sometimes lurches and kangaroos. It seems
> be worse when cold. It also pops back through the carbs occasionally. In
my
> experience this is a symptom of being too lean. Any other ideas?
>
> - The engine power level seems to get unstable below about 2k. Trying to
> drive along at low revs is difficult. This could be carb imbalance or an
air
> leak on the inlet. I notice the engine breather pipe is routed back into
the
> carbs...yuk! Filthy habit! I'll block up the carb vent stubs and put a K&N
> on the breather (or pipe to a catch tank...or the road). Could this be
> causing the engine revs to wander about when cruising? (idle is ok)

Personally I wouldn't start modifying things until I had done a full setup
on valves, ignition and carbs, and eliminated any problems found in doing
so.  After ignition, carb air and fuel balance is the most critical.  These
cars run very well as stock - when setup by the book.  Of course, the PO
could have mucked about with yours and caused a problem.