Re: 25PSI

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 25PSI
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:17:07 -0600 (MDT)
The way tire preassure works is that for one day with set conditions
(weather and track) there is one tire preassure that will yeild optimum
traction. Low preassure will yeild more tire rollover and a mushy feeling;
high pressure will yeild less rollover and a hard feeling but both will
create less than optimum grip.  when underinflated the center of the tire
starts to lift off the ground and traction comes from the sides of the
contact patch, when over inflated the sides begin to lift off and traction
comes from the center of the contact patch.  both configurations will
yeild less overall traction, but they will do it with different 'feel'.
Typically you don't feel an overinflated tire because it seems solid right
up until the limit of adhesion.  You will feel an underinflated tire
because it starts feeling mushy.

So far everyones descriptions of over/understeer have been acurate.
Oversteer = rear end slides out
Understeer = front end pushes straight when wheels are turned

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT ever so slowly turning into a V8
'63 Buick 215

"I sure wish I had a racer's budget, or are the racers just better at
explaining expenses to the wife?"
-Unknown