Weird Midget clutch - vibration - the registration saga

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Weird Midget clutch - vibration - the registration saga
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 03:19:07 -0400
Hi guys,

Last saturday my brother came along with his '66 Midget.
I had the chance to drive it - oh what a difference with my BGT!

Now comes the weird part:
When I tried to engage the first gear, it did not succeed. With lots of
noise and emberassed feeling the engine stalled. Reason is, that I depressed
the clutchpedal too deep. It has very little travel anyway and should be
depressed little.
When depressed fully, the clutch does not disengage well anymore.
I never experienced this with any other car sofar. Also quick gear changes
were not possible.
What is the cause?

Vibration: The midget shows engine vibration around 2000 RPM - this also
occurs with my BGT, although a bit more. My brother tells me this comes from
the dual carb principle.
What's the list's opinion?

Registering my BGT:
Yesterday I went to the car import test office and showed the BMIHT "birth"
certificate of my BGT. It was well accepted and I had to go to the customs
office for registration.
As this car is over 25 years old, I don't have to pay any taxes!

The customs office and test office have sent all their forms to the central
office and I can expect the official car licence in a few weeks.
I can't wait for this - but the car officially will by registered without
any objections.
Thanks to the BMIHT guys, who helped me quickly.

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT