Re: Weird Midget clutch - vibration - the registration saga

To: <Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weird Midget clutch - vibration - the registration saga
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:47:44 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: <Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 8:19 AM

> When I tried to engage the first gear, it did not succeed. With lots of
> noise and emberassed feeling the engine stalled. Reason is, that I
depressed
> the clutchpedal too deep. It has very little travel anyway and should be
> depressed little.
> When depressed fully, the clutch does not disengage well anymore.
> I never experienced this with any other car sofar. Also quick gear changes
> were not possible.
> What is the cause?

My MGB had clutch problems when fully depressing the pedal - but that was a
squealing noise.  Mine was caused by the impending failure of the release
bearing.  The Midget problem sounds to me like it could well be in the same
area.

> Vibration: The midget shows engine vibration around 2000 RPM - this also
> occurs with my BGT, although a bit more. My brother tells me this comes
from
> the dual carb principle.
> What's the list's opinion?

Never heard of that before - unless the carbs are badly out of tune/balance.

PaulH.