Re: chekstrap question

To: "Evangelos Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>, "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: chekstrap question
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:07:12 +0100
The exhaust is *supposed* to go under the axle and so does the handbrake
cable.

When the car is on its wheels there should be slack in the rebound strap,
but you do have to jack under the axle some when the body is supported on
axle stands to get the strap on its pins.  How long are your straps?

What rear ride height do you have?  Have a look at the web site below (click
'Spanners' and 'Ride Height') to see how to measure the height and some
typical measurements from around the world.  How does yours compare with
these?  I have had RB roadster springs on my CB roadster and connected up
the straps no problem.  It looks like either you have very wrong straps or
very wrong springs or the springs are incorrectly fitted or located.  Can't
go far wrong at the front eye, but is the rear shackle pointing backwards or
forwards as it drops from the chassis rail to the rear eye?  It should be
backwards.

PaulH
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk