Re: Cameras/ sorta MG/ now way OT

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cameras/ sorta MG/ now way OT
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:40:26 -0700
Hmm. As a graphics professional I would not recommend multiple
compression operations on a single image. Each successive op degrades
quality in a geometric fashion. Just do your crop and edits, and save it
once in JPEG format, at an appropriate level of compression. If the
compressed file size is still too large, go back to the original image
and save it again with a different compression setting. DO NOT recompress
the already compressed image, if you give a hoot about image quality.

There is also a phenomenon where the compression artifacts build up to a
level where they actually add complexity to the image, and further
attempts at compression achieve diminishing returns.

Of course, I am not referring to "lossless" compression schemes such as
LZW which is used in the TIFF format, or to ZIP or StuffIt archiving. But
these do not achieve the high ratios of compression of the JPEG format,
which is standard on the web. GIF format, which is limited to a 256 color
palette, is a whole different story. I would not recommend it for
photographic images under most circumstances.

paul.hunt1@virgin.net had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149