Re: chekstrap question & measurements

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: chekstrap question & measurements
From: Evangelos Makris <xirias@hol.gr>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:33:16 +0300
Here's the measurements I got from my 1973 BGT with chrome bumpers:

Rear ride height: 17.25" for the right side and 17" for the left side.
Brand new Checkstrap length (hole centre to hole centre): 8.25"
Bump clearance: 6.25"
The rear springs have 7 leaves each and the rear shackles are slightly inclined
"rearwards" with the car on its wheels.

The exhaust-to-axle clearance is about 1/2" and the handbrake cable chafes on
the exhaust tube as it passes over it. The point at which they cross is where
the exhaust tube curves upwards to enter the rear silencer box.

So, is this OK? How can I put the new checkstraps in? The only way I can imagine
is to ask for someone to sit in the boot while the car is on ramps (I have to be
underneath to work) so the rear springs are a little bit compressed. All
pointers are welcome!

Regards,
Evangelos