Re: GO ELSEWHERE

To: "MGs List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GO ELSEWHERE
From: "Charles Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:57:23 -0400
I think that the issue of MG enthusiasts deriding the Triumph makes refers
to irritation that after British Leyland acquired BMC, quality took a turn
for the worse, and resources were diverted away from the MG models to the
Triumph side of the business.  Not only that, but the end product was the
TR-7, which was a rather (-censored-) perversion of the spirit of
traditional British sportscars.

The makers of MGs at that point were accountants, instead of creative
thinkers, and many folks see these bean counters as folks who destroyed a
line of cars with an excellent racing heritage and a huge enthusiast base.

I don't know if this point of view is justified, since British Leyland also
had problems with a strong pound, aggressive labor, and onerous safety
regulations, but I think that most people agree that BL management had it in
for MG and the Healeys.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget