What size wires are standard

To: "MGList (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What size wires are standard
From: "Walt Goddard" <waltcpa@sierra.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:52:08 -0700
With the recent overheating, melting of insulation, and consequent
release of smoke from the wires near the coil/fuse box/ignition relay,
some repair is necessary.  However, while looking at my new
smoke-enhanced wire, the sizes appear to be different.  I have mostly
16 ga with a couple of rolls of 12 ga.  The wires in the car appear to
be about 14 ga (the brown insulation) and 12 ga (most of the red
insulation) and the rest 16 ga or 18 ga.  I didn't see anything in my
Haynes or other manuals about size.  Is there some standard factory
size used in certain areas?  Some diagram to follow?  Or just use the
wire containing the most smoke?

Walt Goddard
waltcpa@sierra.net
77B