RE: Why does oil cost so much in the UK?

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Why does oil cost so much in the UK?
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:19:48 -0400

The cost of oil worldwide, I would suspect is pretty constant. However
the retail price of oil/gas fluctuates so dramatically mainly due to the
HUGH taxes that the individual governments charge. The cost of oil/barrel
fluctuates (it wasn't too long ago that it was $11/barrel), but I have never

seen this reflected at the gas pumps in the UK. What's that telling you ?
When the
cost of the barrel is low, the Gov. takes a proportionately larger chunk
of it and pockets its away.

I remember when I lived in the UK in the 70's and the North Sea oil fields
were just starting to go into full scale production, the Gov. heralded that
it
would lead to a dramatic decrease in the price of gas for the domestic users
- yeah right !!!!!

In particular the British Gov. taxes the sh*t out of citizens and when
the GOV needs more money, come April time, the jack the taxes up on
all the usual items including petrol/cigs/alcohol. I have always been
surprised that the Gov hasn't learnt its lessons from the Boston Tea Party.
There comes a point where you push the citizens over the edge.

Anyway don't get me started on the UK and taxes - it's one of the main
reasons I left the UK and came to the USA. Seeing how much of my paycheck
went to into the Gov./ coffers depressed me every month

gerry