Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK?

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:34:36 -0400
Larry Hoy wrote:
> The cost of a US quart of oil in the USA could be as low as $.75US to as high
>as
> $8.00US for some synthetic oils.  I don't know what the price is on the other
> side of the pond, but maybe it doesn't vary that much?

  From my (limited) experience, the price difference is incredible.

  I use valvoline oil usually, and a 4L container here is about $5
Canadian,
which is about $3.50 US. I think that's about inline with US prices.

  When I was in Germany we went into a german superstore, kind of a
walmart
with food and clothes and motor oil and everything, and likely good
prices.

  The same 4L of oil was something like 25DM, which is way more than
triple the price after conversion.

  I can understand gas being expensive, because of taxes, and perhaps
the cost of transporting thousands of gallons a day into a
corner gas bar. But oil is just oil, it comes in boxes like bedsheets
or toothpaste or house paint?

  No idea... but it's there. I wonder if European people save
their oil and reuse it if they are just draining it to change
a sump gasket or something!

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca