Re: Misleading Vendors

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Misleading Vendors
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:37:22 -0500
At 05:41 PM 8/31/2000 EDT, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 31/08/00 12:51:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>barneymg@ntsource.com writes:
>>....  I put a MGB diaphram clutch in my MGA ....
>
>And I'll bet you switched the front trans plate, and fork too, didn't you?
Many people don't!

Of course I did.  The diaphram pressure plate is thinner than the original
MGA pressure plate, so the T/O truest surface is farther forward.  If you
try to use the original MGA trans front cover and release arm with the
diaphram clutch the slave cylinder moves too far, the release arm goes
through too much angular motion, and that small MGA T/O bearing goes off
center and rubs on the tranny input shaft.  Using the MGB pressure plate
you must also use the MGB gearbox front cover, release arm and release
bearing.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg