I'm not to Stowe, because...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm not to Stowe, because...
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:07:46 -0400
Driving down Everett Turnpike this morning I suddenly smelled a strong oily
odor and saw a ton of smoke coming out the back (actually it was being
sucked down from the front, but I didn't know that yet).  Temp gauge buried
in the red.  Pulled over and a ton of smoke coming from the front.  I tried
to turn the engine off but it didn't shut off even with key removed (must
have been dieseling).  Had I been thinking I would have tried to force it
to stall by popping it in a gear for a second, but I just wanted to get the
hell out of the car and figure out what happened.  It ran (dieseled)
happily for quite some time with the key in my pocket and smoke billowing
from the front.

Two cops, and a fire truck later we determine there's no fire - it seems to
be oil blown all over the engine.

A tow truck later back to the garage and we determine that it wasn't oil,
but antifreeze/coolant that was all over, possibly some from the radiator
vent but definitely from the head gasket.  Rings seem to be shot, and
goodness knows what else.

I guess I'm rebuilding the engine this fall and winter instead of tooling
around the beautiful foliage on the back roads.

I'll soon have some questions about exactly what I'll be needing.  Right
now, it's just been a long morning.  And I'm not going to Stowe. :(

- Tab