Re: Generator query

To: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>
Subject: Re: Generator query
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:25:10 -0500
At 10:58 AM 9/7/2000 -0400, Edwin McCarroll wrote:
>.... unhealthy Lotus 7.  I am experiencing discharging of the battery ....
What test can I run on the generator .... Recently while out running with
other Brit. cars I was informed that my headlights were extremely dim.

Check the stystem voltage.  With less than 14 volts at the battery it will
not charge properly.  With more than 15 volts at the battery it may boil
the water out of the battery.  Expect about one volt more when measuring
the voltage directly at the output of the dymano.

Before tinkering with the voltage regulator, verify that the generator is
in fact actually working.  Use a jumper wire to apply 12 volts to the field
terminal on the generator (smaller terminal).  Then a little increase in
engine speed from idle should yield a significant increase in voltage at
the output of the generator (larger terminal).  Do not allow it to exceed
18 volts.  If the generator is working okay, then you need to check/adjust
the regulator (control box).  If this is working correctly a very small
clockwise tweak on the adjusting screw will increase the output voltage of
the generator.  Voltage should increase with engine speed until it levels
off at about 15.0-15.5 volts at the output terminal on the generator.  If
you do a lot of short trips, night driving or slow poking around town, give
it another 1/2 volt.

Barney GAylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg